Grant Preparation Guidance: Provisioning New Equipment

Note: This general guidance is subject to frequent revision as the role of research computing at the University of Notre Dame evolves. The needs of the faculty, departments, and colleges along with the strategic goals of the university administration will continue to shape and redefine these guidelines. Further, factors external to this university such as directives from national funding agencies (DOE, NSF, DOD, NIH, etc..) will directly impact these guidelines.


  • For those faculty who elect to join the CRC Faculty Partnership Program, the CRC will provide a facility or facilities to house equipment utilized in research computing (RC). This includes the space, utility infrastructure, and utility operating costs. This program document is updated annually and available on the CRC website.


  • The CRC will provide support in designing, specifying, procuring equipment for RC. The closer in form and function the equipment is to existing CRC infrastructure, the greater the degree of support available.


  • The CRC will provide support in locating and configuring RC equipment as part of the initial equipment deployment/commissioning. The closer in form and function the equipment is to existing CRC infrastructure, the greater the degree of support available.


  • The CRC will provide research data backup and archival storage via a high speed disk cache and tape storage silo.
  • Faculty/Researchers requiring archive/backup will be required to provision for sufficient tape media to meet their total archive/backup needs. Upon their archive 'end of life' date faculty will have the option to personally retain the archive tapes.


  • Faculty/Researchers may proportion their capital costs as a percentage of a larger piece of RC equipment that they do not intend to fully utilize.
  • Storage is a good example of this case. A researcher requiring 10TB of space need not add a full 40TB appliance to their grant. They may provision as little as 25% of the total cost. The CRC will work to coordinate users for the remaining 75% capacity of the storage appliance. A blanket $/TB value has yet to be determined as the storage performance needs of individual researchers do not all map to the same appliances and $/TB values.
  • Note: faculty who choose this option will be required to in good faith share appliances of similar functionality.